|Sausage, Potato & Kale Soup|
I love recipes with easy to find, easy to remember, and easy on the pocketbook ingredients. I work ten hours a day, and the last thing I want to do when I arrive home is work out a complicated recipe. I find I am happiest when the recipe is simple, tasty, and leaves me time to relax in the evenings. This inexpensive and tasty soup does just that.
Ingredients for 10 – 12 Cups of Soup
- 32 ounces (4 cups) – Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 12 ounces (1.5 cups/ 1 package) Ground Italian Sausage
- 12 ounces (1.5 cups/ 1 can) Evaporated Milk
- 32 ounces (4 cups / ½ bunch) Chopped Kale
- 4 Medium Red Potatoes
Required Cooking Skills & Tasks
|Serve at 160 Degrees Fahrenheit|
- Rinsing & Brushing
- Taking the Temperature
- Simmering & Boiling
|Wash & Chop the Kale|
2. Rinse and brush the potatoes, then use a knife, mandoline, or other vegetable slicer to slice them into ¼ inch slices.
3. Add the chicken broth, browned sausage and sliced potatoes to a large kettle, and bring the soup to a boil.
4. Lower the heat to a low simmer and cover.
5. While the soup is simmering and the potatoes are softening, rinse the kale and chop it on a large cutting board. Be sure to remove the leafy greens from the stalks of the plant before chopping. Discard the stalks.
6. Once the potatoes are soft and the skins begin to peel, add the evaporated milk. Stir continuously so the milk does not scorch.
7. Bring the soup back to a low, bubbling simmer, and add the kale.
8. Cook for 5 more minutes, and then let the soup cool to about 160 degrees Fahrenheit before serving.
I used the MyFitnessPal recipe calculator to generate the nutritional information for this recipe per serving, divided into six servings. Although my calculations are listed below, please keep in mind that the brand, type, and measurements of individual ingredients will have an impact on the nutritional information listed here.
This soup has approximately 347 calories per serving. There are about 30 carbohydrates, of which 5 are sugars. There are around 17 grams of fat and 19 grams of protein. With low-sodium chicken broth and organic ground sausage, there are between 900 and 1000 grams of sodium per serving.
Copyright Amy Lynn Hess. Contact the author to obtain permission for republication.